Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Time Marches On!

Have you ever contemplated that everyone on "I Love Lucy" – including the audience that's laughing – is gone.

When I watch The Benny Hill Show, I have to remind myself that most of the men, from Benny to Henry McGee, are all dead – and all those nubile female dancers are using walkers now.

I always have a moment of sad pondering when I watch "Young Frankenstein" because Marty Feldman, Madelyn Kahn and Peter Boyle are all in graves somewhere.

I have stood at Feldman's grave.

Nearly everything that gave my childhood a sense of wonder or joy, has either faded, or been labeled obsolete by the current generation of frenzied tail-chasers, and trampled into the dust by their hurried, circular advance over the cliff.

Nothing illustrates the slipping away of time like each new Monday morning. As I age I realize a few things that help me not to worry so much – there are truisms in life that we should all learn to just accept, and move on.

1. You'll never really have enough stuff.
2. There will always be the risk of fucking up.
3. You can have anything you want in life, but you won't live long enough to have ALL of it.
4. Nobody knows everything. Few people truly know anything.
5. The final word will not be yours.
6. You'll never be too old for acne.
7. The survivors of Armegeddon will all get together afterward at Dennys – and they'll get the same service they got BEFORE Armegeddon.

No comments: