Monday, August 22, 2011

Mid-August Hurlings

DAMN POETRY CORNER RUNS AMOK

Thank you for a day of laughter I won't soon forget.
Thank you for an evening stroll against a gold sunset.
Thank you for your kneecap, peeking out a parted robe.
Thank you for the candlelight and its warm romantic strobe.
Thank you for an enchanting night.
Too soon was dawn's reprieve.
Thank you for having a home to go to,
I thought you'd never leave.
____________________________

If a Ferrari in the McDonald's drive-thru isn't a sign of the Apocalypse... what is?
____________________________

I was at the place where I regularly get my hair cut, this morning. An attractive Korean lady barber took me right away, no waiting. She sat me in her chair, and flung the giant bib around my neck. Just as she began clipping, my usual barber, a Korean man, strode in. "Sorry," I said, "you can get me twice next time," I joked! "Hoho, Mistah Rob," he answered, "no – last time was enough!"
____________________________

Funny how a strange weekend can make one long for the normalcy of a Monday morning, at the job you hate.
____________________________

Oh, by the way, I've given profundity the night off, in case you hadn't noticed.
____________________________

I recently saw actor John Lithgow in an incredible performance he gave about a man struggling with Alzheimer's, that unfortunately was undermined utterly by the very movie that contained it: "Rise of the Planet of the Apes." I only saw half the film, because of something that happened to me that has never before. I'm beginning to think I am viscerally allergic to the mimicked reality of today's CGI movie effects. Movies rely so heavily upon them now. They are essentially ultra-hightech cartoons, yet they are rapidly coming to replace flesh and blood. "Apes" put Lithgow, an artist of remarkable scope, in a backseat – to rest its hopes on the "emoting" of a computer-graphic; the film's actual star. The ape "Caesar" was portrayed in the original film this one is based on, by Roddy McDowell, another actor I'd watch read the phonebook, rather than "marvel" at the unreal escapades of this CGI counterpart. Anyway, I had to get up and trot to the mensroom at the 1-hour mark... to hurl. Really, I had to blow chunks. After I cleaned it up – the cinema staff were all on toke break – I decided not to return to the film. Watching all the right-brain grating just-a-bit-too-odd animation of animals not actually photographed... and so many real actors pretending to interact with them... made me physically ill. Like a rollercoaster designed by a sadist. I'll let some geek in a coffeeshop tell me how it ended, thanks.

No comments: